Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Strong Acids

1) For the first problem I was tasked with creating a 100ml 5M solution of NaOH. I took my 1M sample and got my 1oM sample and then I poured about 80ml of it into my 1M solution, resulting in a 100ml sample.

2)This problem was super easy. All I did was retrieve the supplies and the added 10ml of 10M HCl to 100ml of 1M NaOH and the pH went exactly to 7.

3)For this problem the instructions were simple. I was told to add 75ml 1.0M HCl to 100ml 1.oM NaOH. I solved this problem just by following the steps. TH pH of the final solution was 13. Another student might want to try mixing the solution in a volumetric flask because i found thid to be the best container for mixing and diluting and stuff.

4)This problem was very similar to problem 3. I was to find the pH of a solution with 125ml was added to the NaOH. I simply added 50ml and my result was a pH of 0.95. If another student were to try this problem i would advise them to review the earlier problems.

5)For this problem i tried retrieving the acid and the base as directed. I poured the acid into a volumetric cylinder. I poured the NaOH into the volumetric flask until it was 10 ml full. I then got the HCl and dumped in 10ml of the stuff. I slowly titrated in the HCl and watch the pH meter carefully as the needle gradually moved to 1. I had added 1008ml in order to achieve my answer.

6)THis problem resembled the previous problem and the steps i took were similar as i retrieved the 1m HCl and the 1m NaOH. In order to lower the pH to 13 all i had to do was add 72ml to the solution.

7)To solve this problem i used the dilution method. I got 3m CH3COOH and add 20ml of h2o until the molarity was 2.5. The pH meter read 2.18. Another student solving this problem should know to start with the 3m as opposed to the 1m just to make things easier.

8)This problem is different because you are dealing with a strong base. I started with the 1m of NaCH3COO. I concentrated it and the pH level went up to 14. the maximum pH level for a base.

No comments:

Post a Comment